June 23, 2015 3 minute read by Jonathan Jackson
In Health, Life Style
Because CNN, Fox News, and most other other media outlets want us to be everything we’re not, here’s a list of things we need to hear more of.
1. I love you bro. We don’t tell each other as men how much we mean to each other. There is no weakness in that. Only strength, solidarity, and power.
2. You don’t have to be perfect. You just have to commit to getting better.
3. Someone is depending on you, to be exactly who you are.
4. Read more. You have time to read 12 books a year (which is more than the average American). We also aren’t average.
5. Showing and sharing your emotions isn’t a sign of weakness. Paying attention to how we feel helps us become more in tune with what’s actually going on.
6. Your mental health matters. You can’t “work yourself” out of your mind. Emotional trauma is very real and worthy of our time. We’ve been through a lot recently.
7. Living is an act of resistance. You are going to live, get out all these dreams, and thrive – despite the odds.
8. You are a descendant of kings. Seriously, don’t bow your head to life. You were built for this.
9. Their opinion won’t pay your bills, or build your dreams. They won’t always see your vision. Not everyone is supposed to.
10. Failure isn’t a tattoo. Learn how to take the Ls and move on. Adapt and overcome. Read the rest of this entry »
Filed under: African-American, Arts & Culture, Black Men, Blacks, African-American, Arts and Culture, Black, Black Men